NLC Community Panels
With nearly 9,000 alumni and fellows, NLC is an organization rich in talent with individuals who are making real progressive change in communities. We gather each summer at NLC Convention to build our progressive bench through leadership and policy conversations. With such an amazing cohort, we want to learn from you!
What is a community panel?
We got your feedback about providing more opportunities for our amazing alumni to facilitate conversations at Convention. The new initiative will allow NLC alumni to pitch their panel ideas for inclusion in the NLC National Convention agenda. The panel can have up to four panelists and a moderator, with the expectation that all participants are NLC alumni.
How many community panels will there be at Convention?
There are openings for four community panels during the 2020 Convention
What topics are the Community Panel Committee most interested in?
The committee is interested and open to all panel topics. The state of Title IX investigations in primary and secondary educational institutions, impacts of implicit biases and racism in healthcare, policy development and organizing in rural communities, impact of data and technology in the progressive movement, the list goes on. We’re looking for a variety.
What are the deadlines?
All applications must be received by 11:59pm pacific time on April 20th, 2020 to be considered. The Community Panel Committee will review all applications received by the deadline and let accepted Panel Managers know by Wednesday May 11, 2020.
Who should fill out the application?
The application should be completed by the Panel Manager. This could be someone who is serving as either the moderator of the panel or a panelist. Their responsibility will be to liaison between the committee/ national organization and the panel participants to prepare for NLC Convention.
What criteria will be used to determine the panels chosen for NLC Convention?
Panels will be selected based on the following criteria:
1. Goal / Intention: The objective of the panel was clearly stated and is relevant to the NLC community
2. Confirmed Panelists: Between 3-4 panelists have already committed and have submitted the application together
3. Expertise: Suggested panelists hold specific knowledge and skills relevant to facilitating a successful discussion about the panel topic
4. Comprehensiveness of Concept: How detailed is the application? The application outlines action items and key learnings that panel participants should walk away with. Applicant noted prior panel planning and moderating experience
5. Creativity: The panel topic is interesting and the suggested panelists offer a unique perspective
6. Intersectional Nature of Panel: Panelists and the panel review the topic through the lens of intersectionality.
NLC is seeking a diverse field of individuals within the selected panels.
Will I get free access to Convention? Will I get travel assistance?
We will not be able to waive your Convention fees but we will be able to offer an extended early bird pricing for all panelists through June 1, 2020. We are also launching a new needs-based scholarship program and panelists will be able to apply for this assistance.
What if I have a panel idea but don’t have panelists?
That’s what the #NLCFamily is for! If you have a panel idea and know what your ideal panelist look like, we suggest posting on the #NLCFamily Facebook group or emailing to identifying folks who could serve on your panel.
How do I apply for a Community Panel?
The application for Community Panels can be found here. Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. pt on Monday, April 20, 2020.